Thursday, September 3, 2009

the 18% solution...

Being the consummate consumer, I ordered and received a "Marriot VISA" platinum card. I figured that I had a good paying job, so I could afford the 18% or so fee on the card. I was approved for $5000 in credit. North Africa, here I come!


I took my three daughters to Ottawa this weekend. I treated them to the " 5 star" treatment, the same way any indulgent parent would. I love my kids, so it's no big deal to me.


When I went to check out of the hotel, I was informed that my VISA card was not valid. I called the company, only to be told that my credit limit had been reduced to $3900 dollars, and that I had met my limit. I explained that I was paying more than the required limit and that I had never been late with a payment. The peon on the other side of the phone said: " Well, it has to do with a "blip" on your credit report that made us reduce it". When I enquired what the "blip" was, they said " We can't really discuss it".


My advice to everyone: Watch these swine who offer these cards. This type of unscrupulous behaviour is simply contemptible. Yes, I know that credit cards are high risk, but not to people who use them responsibly.


As Vincent Bugliosi said:" There ought to be a law".


No comments:

Post a Comment