Thursday, September 3, 2009

The working Dad..

Nothing pisses me off more than those dorky TV ads that portray Dad as a bumbling boob. This type of yellow, stereotypical marketing does nothing but infuriate men and leaves an intelligent woman aghast.

As a working Dad, married to a working Mom ( who makes far more money than this civil servant), I am responsible for the cooking in the house.The reason is quite simple: My wife, as intelligent and witty as she is, can't par boil shit for a street dance. Ergo, I am left to do the cooking. I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is.

For all those working people out there who need to feed a family after a hard day of work, take my advice: Buy a crock pot. Forget all that "Julie-Julia"nonsense, be realistic and start being smart with your time. Julia Child never had any kids, her hubby was a diplomat, and she lived in France. That's three more things going for her than I have, so if any of her devout followers are offended, tough shit.

This is a really simple crock pot recipe that can feed your hungry hubby/wife/mistress/best friend. It's simple and most of all, kids love it.

You start with:

1 large package of chicken thighs ( 6 to 8 )
1 bottle of Diana's " BBQ Sauce" ( or any other sauce that is compatible with chicken: Hot and Tangy sauce, Sweet Sauce, etc...)
1 tin of Diet Pepsi (or any other cola)
3 dashes of olive oil
1 crock pot ( I have a small one...crock pot, that is)

Directions:

Heat your oven to 425 degrees far.
Place the chicken in a large baking pan ( I love the Laghostino myself).
Dash the chicken with olive oil. Make sure your cover all the chicken!
Let the chicken cook until golden brown. Turn over once or twice while cooking.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and pat dry. Place the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour the tin of cola over the chicken. Once the foam settles, cover the chicken with the WHOLE bottle of Diana's sauce.

If you are cooking with a small crock pot, cook it on "LOW" for about 2 to 2.5 hours. If you like your chicken a little more crispy, cook it for about 3 hours.

My daughters ( except Peta, my oldest who is a vegetarian) love this dish.

It's time for working Dad's/Mom's/Mistresses to unite and prove that we can look after our families while still putting food on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment